Vehicle theft is one of the most common crimes in Venezuela. Gangs of car thieves are integrated by “chance” criminals who take advantage of the circumstances, most of the times, generated by victims that don’t take minimum precautionary measures.
Here are a few preventive measures you can take:
- Always be aware when driving.
- If you decide to buy a new (or used) vehicle, try to select a low profile (not ostentatious) vehicle without flamboyant accessories.
- Park your vehicle in private parking lots, avoid parking on the street.
- Park in well-illuminated areas.
- Use as many anti-theft devices as possible (alarms, GPSs, etc).
- Don’t leave personal objects in plain sight inside the vehicle.
- Keep your windows closed and the doors locked.
- Avoid driving in dark, secluded and unknown places.
- Try to always be accompanied.
- Respect road signs; drive defensively and avoid driving aggressively.