Preventive measures against telephone extortion:
- Do not provide personal information to strangers regarding your family and neighbors’ schedules.
- Do not accept interviews with strangers and do not answer surveys or telemarketing promotions of any kind.
- Do not recommend relatives or friends to strangers.
- Keep a detailed registry, preferably in your phone, with caller Id.
- When making a purchase, do not provide your home number for the billing information.
- Setup a family strategy to come up with some kind of telephone identification, such as a keyword.
- Do not publish privileged information in websites such as Facebook, Twitter, Hi5, Tucarro.com, etc.
- Know and identify your employees and do not share privileged information with them.
Recommendations in case of being a victim of telephone extortion:
- Stay calm.
- Do not establish a conversation with the criminal, hang up the phone.
- They will call you again a few times from the same unknown number or from a different number, DO NOT PICK-UP THE PHONE.
- Contact your Security Advisors, they will help you.
- In 90% of the cases, criminals will give up and call a different victim (they have a victim data base; you’re just one of them)
- Request your phone operator to change your line immediately if the calls continue.
- It is always recommendable to report the case to the competent authorities.