Many of the crimes involving families happen due to a lack of communication between parents and their children, especially pertaining security issues. Talk to your children, listen to them and follow these recommendations:
ARE YOUR CHILDREN READY TO FOLLOW THESE BASIC GUIDELINES?
- Go straight home after school.
- Use mobile phone and kitchenware responsibly.
- Lock the doors.
- Follow the rules and your parents’ instructions.
- Face unexpected situations without panicking.
- Do not be afraid when left alone.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
Talk these things over with them and listen carefully to their concerns and ideas. Reach an agreement with them regarding the rules for:
- Inviting friends over.
- Doing household chores.
- Doing homework.
- Watching TV.
- Using the computer.
TEACH YOUR KIDS THE BASIC RULES OF SECURITY:
- Not to come near strange vehicles.
- Never to say they’re home alone or open the door to strangers.
- Teach them what to do in case of fire or flood and who to call for help.
- If they get lost or separated from you, tell them who to approach for help.
- Tell them to yell and defend themselves in case someone tries to kidnap them.
- Teach them not to take gifts from strangers or climb into vehicles of people they don’t know very well.