In a kidnapping situation, both the victim and his/her family need to assume positions that favor a successful conclusion to this traumatic experience. G4S Venezuela offers a few important recommendations on what to do in case you are a victim of this abominable crime:
What should the family do
- Report the kidnapping.
- Be discrete about the event, tell only your immediate family.
- Obtain assistance from specialists in negotiation and leave a single family member in charge of the whole process.
- Remain calm.
- Limit your phone contacts to avoid leaks of information.
- Don’t carry out investigations on your own.
- Don’t get carried away by rumors.
- Don’t make quick decisions.
- Don’t pay a ransom without proof of life.
- Consider kidnapping is usually about money and not personal vendetta.
- Once your family members have been released, have them checked by a doctor; then listen to them and don’t push them to talk about their time in captivity.
- The whole family should start therapy.